Inaugural Report Shows Today’s Meetings are Mobile, Flexible and International
June 26, 2013— MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA – Blue Jeans Network today introduced The State of the Modern Meeting, its inaugural report benchmarking trends in collaboration and demonstrating how technology is reshaping meetings. The report reveals that people are joining meetings from anywhere and everywhere and that women are leading the charge.
In an era of global teams and remote workers, the loss of in-person communication may take a toll on collaboration and connectivity. Blue Jeans, a cloud-based video collaboration service, makes meetings engaging, personal and effective by connecting people face-to-face from practically any device. As we evolve the way we work, Blue Jeans data reveals key trends in modern meetings:
- An average business meeting lasts 45 minutes and has 4.3 participants
- Women are “Leaning In” to meetings, attending 11 percent more meetings than men
- Running a company can mean running late as CEOs, CTOs and Founders are most often late to meetings
- Early morning meetings and 9-5 days are no longer the norm with 49% of meetings taking place between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and most workdays concluding by 10 pm
Additional report findings:
Mondays May Be Manic But Don’t Blame Meetings
Traditional Monday morning meetings have given way to meetings any time or day of the week, but punctuality is regional.
- 1 in 10 meetings are held on weekends and Wednesdays and Thursdays are the most popular meeting days
- People still take time for lunch with a 20 percent decline in meetings from noon to 1 p.m.
- Less than half (49%) of meetings start on time with meetings in the Midwest more likely to start on time than meetings on the East or West coasts
Collaboration is King
With teams scattered across the country and around the world, people join meetings from a multitude of locations and devices including laptops or desktops (77 percent of the time), conference rooms (56 percent of the time), telephones (30 percent of the time) and video-enabled mobile devices (30 percent of the time).
Miles Don’t Matter
Miles are no match for modern meetings as people collaborate across the globe.
- Singapore, San Francisco, Prague, Dubai and New York are some of the cities from which people most frequently collaborate.
- 1 billion miles of travel and $600 million in travel related costs were saved using Blue Jeans in one year alone – the equivalent of planting 24 million new trees
“In a world where we spend nearly half of our workday in meetings, this report demonstrates how much professionals appreciate the increased productivity and flexibility they gain from video conferencing,” said Stu Aaron, chief commercial officer at Blue Jeans. “The savings of not traveling from New York to San Francisco or Los Angeles reaches beyond dollars and cents. Video-meetings spare people hassles at airports and anxiety while offline during a flight. Even for those who do have to travel, video conferencing makes it possible to stay better connected and engaged with their colleagues back home, rather than becoming a second class citizen on the dark end of a phone line.”
Blue Jeans has transformed the video conferencing industry and business around the globe with its unorthodox approach to hosting interoperable video meetings, and as a result has captured more than a quarter of the video conferencing services market. Blue Jeans customer base includes thousands of businesses from small companies to the Fortune 50, whose employees are increasingly choosing video conferencing for face-to-face collaboration with colleagues, partners, and customers.
The report is based on more than one million participants who used Blue Jeans Network for meetings from 177 countries across all seven continents.
For more information about Blue Jeans Network and to see more on Modern Meetings, including an infographic on the data, visit bluejeans.com/modern-meetings
About Blue Jeans Network
At Blue Jeans Network, our mission is to make video communications as easy and pervasive as audio communications, enabling more effective collaboration at work, at home, and on the road. Our cloud-based conferencing service makes this possible by enabling customers to connect with each other seamlessly any time, anywhere, and from practically any device. The Blue Jeans Network extends high quality video communications beyond the traditional boundaries of specialized conference rooms and into the mainstream, allowing individuals and employees throughout an enterprise to interact more effectively with each other, and with their customers, partners, suppliers, family, and friends. Blue Jeans Network is a private company headquartered in Mountain View, California. For more information go to: https://www.bluejeans.com or follow the company @BlueJeansNet
Borders + Gratehouse for Blue Jeans Network
Back to Press Releases