Working remotely as the sole remote worker can be an intimidating experience at first, especially if the rest of your colleagues are working in an office. But there are many virtual office benefits. It’s also important to remember that you have the same set of skills as your peers and colleagues.
While there are some challenges that come with working remotely, such as feeling isolated and missing out on office camaraderie, there are many potential advantages.
Having access to the right collaboration tools like video chat, online group messaging boards, and shared documents also increases connectivity between coworkers and makes it much easier.
The Pros of Working Remotely
1. Increased Focus - Working from home allows you to focus without distractions. You don't have to worry about office noise or co-workers chit-chatting away at their desks. This makes it easier for you to concentrate on the tasks at hand and get them completed more quickly.
2. Flexibility - When you work from home, you can set your own hours and work when it suits your schedule best. This is especially helpful if you need to take care of personal matters during certain times of the day or need to pick up your children from school.
3. Cost Savings - Working from home eliminates unnecessary expenses such as commuting costs, lunch money, coffee runs, etc., which can add up over time.
Tips for sole remote workers to stay focused and engaged
- Utilize your solo time - working from home can be the best place to learn how to stay focused at work without distractions.
- Increase productivity - set deadlines, establish custom communication channels and take advantage of online resources like project management software.
- Share your experience with your coworkers - be honest about why you’re feeling less focused than usual, and use their ingenuity to brainstorm solutions.
- Include yourself - try getting to virtual meetings a bit early and have at least one team member meet you there for a quick catch-up chat. You can also organize your own virtual conversational time or arrange a weekly newsletter.
Working remotely from a virtual office can be a great way to learn new things while also having control over how your own workplace operates, as long as you are organized. With careful planning, effective communication practices, and the right video conferencing tools, any remote worker can find success working from home while still staying connected with their teammates.