10 Common Video Conferencing Questions Answered
In the past decade, video conferencing has gone from being a technology used exclusively by large corporations to being an affordable and practical solution for businesses of all sizes. Today, video conferencing is commonplace in offices around the world, and for good reason: it's a convenient way to stay connected with clients, colleagues, and employees who are located in different parts of the world.
With that said, video conferencing seems like an obvious choice for businesses, but there’s still many misconceptions and perceived barriers to overcome. In this blog post, we'll answer some of the most common video conferencing questions so that you can make an informed decision about whether this technology is right for your business.
1. What is video conferencing?
Video conferencing is a technology that allows users to communicate with each other using two-way audio and video communication. This means that users can see and hear each other in real-time, making it an ideal solution for businesses who need to communicate with employees or clients located in different parts of the world.
2. What equipment do I need for video conferencing?
First, think about what types of meetings you tend to have, and ensure the microphone and camera are best suited for those applications. The correct microphone and webcam can be just as important as a decent internet connection. Pick a good quality speaker system – one that is well-suited for the room size and configuration. For a teleconference system in the workspace, be sure to select one that is adaptable to several configurations. The right display or TV for your room size and application is also essential. Finally, teleconference software is key. You will want high-quality software that serves as your central platform.
3. Is video conferencing expensive?
Many business owners believe that virtual meeting platforms are too expensive for them to use on a regular basis. However, the truth is that there are many affordable options available that can fit any budget. Larger businesses with more complex needs will obviously incur higher costs, but even then the price tag is often lower than alternatives such as travel expenses. For example, BlueJeans offers premium video conferencing packages at extremely affordable pricing.
4. Is video conferencing secure?
There are several factors to consider beyond the conferencing platform itself. Don’t share meeting IDs with everyone, always use passcodes, and keep watch on meeting joiners. Ask participants to join early, and know your meeting platform's vulnerability and security SLAs. Also, practice security hygiene consistently, and master the platform's controls. See Eight Best Practices for Safe Video Conferencing
5. What are the benefits of using video conferencing?
There are many benefits associated with using video conferencing for business purposes.
● It's a convenient way to stay in touch with employees or clients who are located in different parts of the world.
● It's often more affordable than alternatives such as travel expenses.
● It can help improve productivity by cutting down on downtime between meetings (e.g., time spent traveling to and from meeting locations).
● It's eco-friendly because it eliminates the need for Business travel.
● Many businesses also find that using video conferencing helps create a more cohesive work environment because it fosters regular communication and collaboration between team members who might not otherwise have had the opportunity to work together on a regular basis.
6. How do you record a video call?
With most video conferencing software, the Moderator has the capability of recording a video call. Usually, it's as simple as finding and clicking the Start Record button. There are plenty of reasons why you would want to record a video call.
● By recording a video call you can be much more present in the meeting and won’t need to go back over things. If you need to check something afterward you can simply watch the video call again in your own time.
● By recording the video call you will end up with a video file with both video and audio so you can include a key individual’s comments in the video you are making even without filming them directly.
● Recorded video calls can be used for training purposes, to send to a wider team of people, or for other people to reference if they are not available to join your meeting or conference in real-time.
7. Is video conferencing complicated? I am not tech-savvy.
On the contrary, most video conferencing platforms are designed to be user-friendly and easy to use. All you need is a basic understanding of how to use a computer or mobile device and you'll be up and running in no time.
8. Why is my video call echoing?
First, you need to pinpoint the source. This can be external speakers or microphones, typing on an unmuted mic, and/or over modulated microphones. If you hear your own audio back as echo, the problem is likely originating from another person. If the situation is reversed, then the echo is likely coming from your side. How to Eliminate Echo from a Video Call
9. How do you run a successful virtual meeting?
A few rules of thumb are to make sure the attendees are set on a specific amount of time the meeting will last, and make sure it does not overrun. Whether it’s just 15 minutes or a full hour, be strict with time. Have a clear agenda, send it in advance then work methodically through those points, making sure everyone has their say. Be sure to capture specific action items for follow-up. The Complete Guide to Successful Remote Meetings
10. Will my business lose that personal touch with video conferencing?
Although nothing can replace an in-person meeting entirely, today's video conferencing technology is incredibly lifelike and realistic. In many cases, you may find that virtual meetings are even more efficient and productive than traditional face-to-face meetings because they eliminate distractions and allow everyone to focus on the task at hand.
If you're considering using video conferencing for your business but have some questions or concerns, hopefully this article has helped set your mind at ease. Video conferencing is a powerful tool that can save your business time and money while helping you build relationships and close deals—all without ever leaving your office.
So what are you waiting for? It's time to give video conferencing a try!
Don’t have BlueJeans Meetings yet? Check it out — it’s free.