Updated as of Dec. 19, 2022
“BlueJeans”, “we”, “us” and/or “our” refers to Blue Jeans Network, Inc. and any of our corporate affiliates.
“Information” refers to data about you and your use of Services, that may be retained in electronic or paper format, and may include personal information as defined by the California Consumer Privacy Act and personal data as defined by the General Data Protection Regulation and Section 2(1) of the Singapore Personal Data Protection Act 2012, as applicable.
“Services” refers to, individually and collectively, our video conferencing, collaboration, and related services, support, professional services, websites (including www.bluejeans.com), and end user software on any platform. The Services are not intended for personal or consumer use.
“You” and “your” refer to individuals using or otherwise interacting with our Services.
Reasons We Process Personal Information
We may process personal information if:
- You, or the company you work for, or the entity which provides you access to the Services, are a customer or a supplier of ours.
- You, or the company you work for, or the entity which provides you access to the Services, use our Services.
- You work for one of our suppliers, resellers, or other business partners.
- You work for someone who uses our products or services.
- You, or the company you work for, may be a candidate for our advertising or marketing efforts.
- You communicate with us, or we receive a communication from or regarding you, through our Services or other communication.
Information We Collect
We collect information from you as part of your use of our Services. Examples of this include: when you submit a technical support request, participate in a chat function as part of a BlueJeans Meeting or Event, request that a Meeting or Event that you are hosting be recorded using the Services, for account maintenance purposes, when you use optional features, and in conjunction with our marketing activities.
We collect information from you when you voluntarily provide it to us. This may occur, for example, when you register for an account, modify your profile and preferences, complete and submit a form through the Services, provide payment information to complete a transaction, contact us with inquiries, participate in an event or promotion, or respond to one of our surveys.
We collect information about you from third parties including other Service users, third-party service providers that you have linked to your use of our Services (including social media accounts, single-sign-on services, and scheduling applications), resellers, distributors, your employer, your administrator, publicly available sources, payment and delivery service vendors, advertising networks, analytics providers, and our business partners. The information that we receive from third parties depends on what policies that third party follows and our and your relationships with the third party.
Personal information that we process includes:
- Your name.
- Who you work for, and your job function or department.
- Your address, phone number, email address or other contact details (these details may relate to your work or to you personally, depending on the nature of our relationship with you or the company that you work for).
- Information relating to transactions with us involving you or the company you work for (for example, details of goods or services that we have supplied to, or obtained from, you or the company you work for).
- Information relating to you that is necessary for us to process so that we can enter into or perform a contract with you or the company you work for (for example, right to work information and information obtained from credit references agencies).
- Certain device and connection information when you use our Services, including the type of device or endpoint (e.g. browser type and version, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform) you are using to access the Services, IP address, duration of Service use, and connection quality. The amount of information varies depending on the nature of the equipment you use to access the Services and may also include non-identifiable or aggregated information to conduct research on customer demographics, interests and behavior.
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our customer service number or social media handle used to connect with our customer service team.
- Streaming platform login credentials, when you use BlueJeans Events or Meetings to stream an event.
- Medical data, when you use our Services for telehealth in the context of a patient visit.
- Content that you generate or upload via the Services.
How We Use Information
How we use information is shaped by the source of the information, the type of Services you use, and any privacy preferences that you have specified to us. Below are the specific purposes for which we use the information we collect or receive about you.
- To provide our Services, related customer support, and supporting functions. We use the information you provide to make the Services available to you in a personalized manner which optimizes your experience. This includes providing supporting functions like using the information you provide in your profile to identify you to other Service users, performing billing operations, identifying whether you are complying with your license grant for the Services, detecting fraudulent activity or other improper uses of the Services, and verifying your identity.
- To communicate with you about the Service. We may reach out to you using the information you have provided via email, telephone, in-window messaging, through the software for the Service, on the website, and otherwise as appropriate for transactional communications such a change of password confirmation, billing receipts, product updates, and responding to customer support requests. We also send you information as a new user for a Service to better help you use the Service. These communications are part of the Services and, in many cases, you cannot opt out of receiving them.
- To display your streaming platform login credentials during livestreaming
- For engagement communications – We may communicate with you or the company you work for to better help you engage with our Services and maximize your use of the Services. This includes user training, letting you know about newly available features of your Services and seeking quality-related and engagement feedback.
- For promotional communications - We may communicate with you or the company you work for to better inform you of the Services available to you. This includes letting you know about potential new Services, newsletters, events, and related Services we offer that we believe will be of interest to you. If we do so, and if required by applicable law, each communication we send you will contain instructions permitting you to “opt-out” of receiving future communications. You can also object to further marketing at any time by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To better understand our users, and improve our Services.
- For uses as required by law or to otherwise protect our legal rights. There may be situations where we believe it is required by law or necessary to protect our legal rights or the interests of others to use the information in connection with pending or active litigation, regulatory compliance efforts, audits, and disclosures in connection with the acquisition, merger or sale of a business.
- For other uses with your consent. If BlueJeans intends on using information in any manner that is not consistent with this Policy, you will be informed of such anticipated use and be given an opportunity to provide your consent for such use or discontinue your use of the Services.
The Services are not intended to be used for profiling, automated processing, personal data relating to criminal convictions or offenses, other systematic monitoring of a public area, or any other operations which may result in a high risk of significantly affecting you or your legal rights.
Who We Share Information With
We may share personal information with third parties under certain circumstances. Any access by a third party to the information is managed by BlueJeans, and the third parties are vetted based in part on their ability to protect information. International data transfers consistent with this sharing is discussed in the “How We Transfer Data” section below.
As part of your use of the Service, you may share information with other users of the Service. Those users of the Service may be located in nearly any location around the world, may be communicating with Third Party Sites, as defined below, while using the Services, and may be limited by law or by an agreement with us about their use of information you share. However, this Policy only addresses our use of the information.
We may share information with contractors, agents, or consultants with a strict need-to-know under appropriate confidentiality obligations.
We may share information with third parties which provide business-related functions on behalf of BlueJeans, including:
- Our business partners, customers, suppliers, service providers, vendors, and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into or other dealings we have in the normal course of business with you or the company that you work for or the company that provides you access to the Services. Some examples of such business-related functions for which we may share information may include data hosting, analyzing data, personalization, providing marketing assistance, providing customer service and technical support, processing orders, sending communications to you on our behalf or at our direction, user engagement and onboarding, soliciting feedback regarding the Services, facilitating invoicing and/or payments, and others in our reasonable discretion;
- Our auditors, legal advisors and other professional advisors or service providers;
- Credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is in the context of us entering into a contract with you or the person that you work for;
- We may share information with our authorized distributors and resellers if you have purchased your license to the Services through a party other than BlueJeans to enable those distributors and resellers to fulfill their business obligations to you;
- We may share information obtained via our Services with analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our site and subject to the cookie section of this policy; and
- We may share information with other third parties, including when you provide consent for a specific situation.
We may share information with third parties if we reasonably believe that such action is necessary to:
- comply with a legal obligation, regulation, or government request,
- protect and defend the rights, property, and safety of BlueJeans, our customers, users, resellers, or others, or
- act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of the Services or the public. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction and to prevent cybercrime.
We may share information with our corporate affiliates, including Verizon, that support our processing of personal information under this Policy.
As we develop our business, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, acquisition, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event, information may be part of the transferred assets. You will be notified of any news of a transaction and any choices you may have regarding your information.
How Long We Keep Information
BlueJeans will generally retain information for as long as you are an active user of the Services. Most information is available for you to modify or delete on a self-service basis. For more extensive requests, you may make a request per the guidelines below. Metadata and/or connection analytics following use of the Services is retained and made available for a host user and/or an administrative user to review during an administrator-set retention period. Information that is older than the pre-set retention period will be obfuscated and archived.
Following the end of your subscription to the Services, your information will generally be deleted or obfuscated within six months of the end of your subscription. If the Services are made available to you through an organization (e.g., your employer), we retain your information per your organization’s instructions. For more information, see the “Additional Information Regarding Processing Information of Our Customers” section below.
We may retain some information to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, to enforce our agreements, to support business operations, for marketing purposes according to your registered preferences if you have opted to receive such communication, and to develop and improve our Services.
Where we retain information after your use of the Service, we take reasonable steps to make sure that data is not personally identifiable beyond the extent required to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
How We Protect Information
BlueJeans uses appropriate physical, technical, and organizational measures to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, and destruction. We utilize a combination of industry-standard security technologies, procedures, and organizational measures to help protect your information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. Information about those practices can be found here.
Our primary data hosting service providers are in the United States. A limited amount of information (for example, host-initiated recordings using the Service) may be stored in ISO27001 certified data centers in the United States, the Netherlands, Singapore, and Australia.
No electronic transmission is ever fully secure or error free, so you should take special care in deciding what information you send in this way.
California Privacy Rights
If you are a business account holder of the Service, California law may provide you certain rights relating to personal information.
You have a Right to Know information we collect and how we use it.
The personal information falls into the following categories:
- Identifiers, such as name, billing and email address, IP address, and account credentials, unique personal identifier, and other similar identifiers
- Commercial information, such as products or services purchased and financial information.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with an internet website application, or advertisement
- Geolocation data inferred from IP address
- Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information
- Professional or employment-related information
- Education information
We do not collect, use, or share sensitive personal information as defined by California law.
You have a Right to Access information we have collected about you.
We take security very seriously, so we will provide your personal information only after you verify your identity through safe and secure means, using information that is not publicly available. We will honor up to two requests every twelve months.
We will endeavor to provide this information to you within 45 days, but it may take up to 90 days. If we need more than 45 days, we will contact you to let you know that we need additional time.
You have a Right to Delete certain personal information.
If there is personal information in the data access report we provide you that you would like us to delete, you may submit a request to delete. We are unable to delete information that is necessary to provide you ongoing service, for security purposes, that we are contractually obligated to retain, or that is necessary to comply with legal obligations.
You have a Right to Correct inaccurate personal information.
If you find that there is inaccurate personal information on the data access report we provide to you, you may submit a request to correct that information.
You have a Right to Opt Out of Selling and Sharing Personal Information.
How to Submit Your Request
You can access and correct personal information by logging into your account at www.bluejeans.com and visiting your profile page. You can also make a request by contacting us at email@example.com, by calling 1-800-403-9256, or through your enterprise administrator.
You have a Right to not be Discriminated against.
If you exercise any of your rights, we will not treat you differently such as by denying goods or services, charging a different price (including through discounts), or providing a different level of quality of goods or services.
Additional Privacy Rights Outside the US
If your personal data is processed in the European Union or the United Kingdom, the following terms also apply:
BlueJeans processes your personal data when we have an adequate legal basis for doing so. This means we collect and use personal data where:
- We need it to provide you the Services;
- It satisfies a legitimate interest (which is not overridden by your data protection interests);
- You give us consent to use the personal data for a specific purpose; or
- We need to process personal data to comply with a legal or contractual obligation. If you have consented to our use of personal data for a specific purpose, you have the right to change your mind at any time, and the procedures for communicating that revocation of consent are detailed below. Any such decision will not affect any processing that has already occurred. Where you withdraw your consent, but we are using your information because we or a third party (e.g. your employer) have a legitimate interest in doing so, or we have different legal basis for using your information (for example, fulfilling a contract with you), we may continue to process your information, subject to your rights to access and control your information. However, this may mean your access to the Services will be limited or suspended, and your accounts may be terminated, as applicable.
How We Transfer Information
We provide our Services primarily from the United States, where we are based. Your use of the Services requires the movement of information to our locations and the locations of our third-party service providers. Your use of the Services may require that our international affiliates and subsidiaries in countries including Australia, India, Netherlands, Singapore, and the United Kingdom have access to the information.
Further information about data transfers is available here.
If you are an EU resident:
Your information may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA") that may not be subject to equivalent data protection law. It may be processed by staff situated outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers.
We may transfer your personal information outside the EEA:
- In order to store it.
- In order to enable us to provide services to and fulfill our contract with you or the company your work for or the company that provides you access to the Services. This includes order fulfillment, processing of payment details, and the provision of support services.
- Where we are legally required to do so.
- In order to facilitate the operation of our group of businesses, where it is in our legitimate interests and we have concluded these are not overridden by your rights.
- Where we have your consent to do so.
When we share information about you within BlueJeans and with entities in countries with local laws which may differ from yours, we safeguard the transfer of information we collect from the European Economic Area and Switzerland to the United States. We are no longer participating in the EU-U.S Privacy Shield, nor the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield, but we are safeguarding transfers through other means such as standard contractual data protection clauses, which have been approved by the European Commission and Switzerland, and/or the Verizon Binding Corporate Rules, as applicable. In some cases we may use other appropriate legal mechanisms to safeguard the transfer. Please see our Trust Center for further information about standard contractual data protection clauses.
If you are an Australian national, where BlueJeans discloses personal information (as defined by the Australian Privacy Act) of Australian nationals with third parties outside of Australia, BlueJeans will operate in a manner materially consistent with the applicable Australian Privacy Principles and seek to ensure that the third party recipient holds and uses the personal information consistently with the applicable Australian Privacy Principle and other applicable privacy laws.
Additional Information Regarding Processing Information of Our Customers
Where we provide access to the Services to you under contract with an organization (for example your employer), or if you use an email address provided by an organization to access the Services, that organization may act as the controller of the information. Your use of the Services may be subject to that organization's policies. Each organization may appoint administrative users of the Services. An administrator may have the ability to access, modify, and/or delete certain information that you have provided, give information to Third Party Sites (as defined below), and restrict your access to the Services and information in whole or in part.
In this situation, BlueJeans is the processor, rather than the controller, of personal data. Where we are the processor, we do not control why or how personal data is used, and you will need to contact your relevant controller (e.g. your employer and/or the company which provides you access to the Services) to find out about your data protection rights and responsibilities. All questions about your organization’s policies and administrative user access rights should be directed to your organization.
Privacy and Recordings
Video and audio from the video conferencing services may be recorded and saved via the Services by the host account for the Service in which you are participating. We do not and cannot control whether your use of the Services is being video recorded or audio recorded, via the Services or a third-party technology. If you do not want to be recorded during your use of the Services, you may inform your host of that decision and/or decline to use the Services.
How You Can Access and Control Information
In accordance with applicable law, your ability to control the information may include the right to:
- Request a record of personal data you have provided
- Request that personal data be corrected or removed
- Request that we restrict the processing of personal data (while we verify or investigate your concerns with this information, for example)
- Request that, to the extent reasonably possible, information be provided in a structured and commonly used electronic format for portability and transfer
- Object to and/or opt-out of our use of personal data, including the right to object to marketing, in whole or in part, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law.
You can exercise many of these abilities directly through the Services via your BlueJeans profile page. You may opt out of non-transactional emails through the email notification center. For any issue that cannot be handled on a self-service basis, please reach out to our Support team for assistance. You can also exercise the rights listed above at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In some instances, if you access the Services under contract with an organization, we may be required to direct your inquiries to an administrative user.
If you no longer want to use our Services, you may choose not to access our website or video-conferencing services at any time and, as applicable, you will need to reach out to our Support team or an administrative user to deactivate your account. If you are an organizational user of the Services, you will need to arrange for an administrative user to remove personal data associated with your account. Otherwise, personal data will be deleted or obfuscated within 180 days of the deactivation of your account.
You may contact our Support team to ask us to stop accessing, storing, using and otherwise processing personal data where our legal basis for doing so relies on your consent or is otherwise objectionable by law. Where you gave us consent to use personal data for a limited purpose, you can contact our Support team to withdraw that consent, but this will not affect any processing already occurred. Where you withdraw your consent, but we are also using your information under a different legal basis (for example, fulfilling a contract with you), we may continue to process personal data, subject to your rights to access and control personal data. Please note that we may need to retain certain information to fulfill legal obligations, in accordance with our record retention practices, or to complete transactions.
Except when BlueJeans provides the Services to educational institutions, BlueJeans services are not intended for use by minors (as defined in your jurisdiction) and BlueJeans does not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13. By using our Services (except as a student of an approved educational institution), you confirm to us that you are not under the age of 13 and/or not a minor. We do not knowingly sell or share personal information of individuals under the age of 16.
Changes to this Policy
The Services and our business may change from time to time. As a result, at times it may be necessary for BlueJeans to make changes to this Policy. BlueJeans reserves the right to update or modify this Policy at any time and endeavor to give you the opportunity to review the revised Policy before you choose to continue using our Services.
Please review this Policy periodically. Your continued use of the Services after any changes or revisions to this Policy indicates that you have read and understood the terms of such revised Policy.
This Policy shall not apply to any unsolicited information you provide to BlueJeans through this website or otherwise through the Services. This includes, but is not limited to, any ideas for new products or modifications to existing products. All such unsolicited information shall be deemed to be non-confidential. BlueJeans shall be free to reproduce, use, disclose, distribute and exploit such unsolicited information without limitation or attribution. However, if such unsolicited information also includes personal data, we will also determine whether we have a lawful basis for the collection and use of that information prior to doing so.
How to Submit a Complaint/Dispute Resolution
If you have a complaint about BlueJeans’ privacy practices, please write to us at the address below. We will take reasonable endeavors to work with you to attempt to resolve your complaint.
If you are an EU resident, and you have a request or concern about how we handle your personal information, you can also contact your local supervisory authority. A full list can be found on the European Commission website here.
If you are an Australian national, and you have a complaint about how we handle your personal information, you can also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001, Australia, https://www.oaic.gov.au.
How to Contact BlueJeans
Please note that, in addition to this Policy, your access to and use of
- this website is subject to our Terms of Service; and
- your access and use of our Services is subject to our Acceptable Use Policy and either the terms and conditions governing your subscription for our Services or, if you are not a paying customer of BlueJeans or part of a paying organizational customer of BlueJeans, our Terms of Service.
This set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) provides certain information regarding data protection with respect to the BlueJeans Service when transferring personal data outside of the EEA and the UK. As BlueJeans is now a Verizon Company, for the broader Verizon FAQs on this topic, please see Verizon FAQs.
- What did the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) rule in the Schrems II judgment?
On July 16, 2020, the CJEU invalidated the EU-US Privacy Shield framework. Other data transfer mechanisms (i.e. Standard Contractual Clauses (SCCs) and Binding Corporate Rules (BCRs)) remain valid. However, the Court also said that additional safeguards may be required when the legal system around access to data by public authorities in the recipient country does not ensure a level of protection essentially equivalent to that guaranteed within the EEA.
- Will data flows from your organization to the U.S. as part of the BlueJeans Service be interrupted as a result of the Schrems II judgment?
No, your organization’s data flows from the EEA (and the UK) to BlueJeans in the U.S. will not be interrupted as a result of the Schrems II judgment. Please see questions 3 and 4. BlueJeans has always placed a premium on security and data protection, and will continue to do so.
- In light of the invalidation of Privacy Shield, what data protection mechanisms does BlueJeans use when transferring personal data outside of the EEA/UK?
While BlueJeans previously relied upon Privacy Shield as a transfer mechanism, BlueJeans now relies on other valid transfer mechanisms such as the SCCs and/or Verizon’s Binding Corporate Rules, as applicable.
- What should I do if my organization is transferring data in the U.S. in connection with the BlueJeans Service?
To address the CJEU's concerns and facilitate the task placed on our EEA customers to verify the adequacy of the level of protection for their personal data in the U.S., BlueJeans has enhanced its SCCs by providing additional global safeguards to the guarantees already contained in the SCCs. In addition, please see the data protection mechanisms set forth in the Verizon FAQs. Please contact your account manager or BlueJeans Customer Support and provide them with an executed copy of the SCCs available here.